How to change your IP geolocation record
IP geolocation data is not always accurate, and you might notice that, depending on the database that the information comes from, your IP geolocation differs. This is due to the records that exist in these databases.
It is possible to change the IP geolocation record.
- Valid ASN is assigned to your IP address
- IP address is being advertised by that ASN
- Go to your IPXO account and open Lease -> My Leased IPs.
- Select the subnet you'd like to view by clicking on three dots next to it and choosing "Subnet details"
- When in "Subnet details" choose "Geo data" tab. There you will see your IP addresses and geolocation databases (1), location (2), country (3), city (4) and date last updated (5).
- To update your geolocation click on “Update” (6), choose the country and the city, click “Update” button:
- After updating, you’ll see status and a message regarding your request.
You can see 3 different statuses:
- Updated - the database was updated. You will receive a confirmation email.
- Pending - we are trying to match request details to subnet traceroute results, to make sure correction request is valid. After confirming it, status will change to Updated or Rejected.
- Rejected - the request was rejected. Check your email for more information.
Note: By updating IPXO Geofeed you won’t update any geolocation databases directly. Geolocation database will read our geofeed and might deny changes if after their check data does not match with a request. Ultimately, all databases operate differently, and it is up to you to figure out how they change IP records. Also more specific requests as ISP, Domain, Provider, etc. are not accepted and can be done by contacting desired geolocation database directly via their email or website
When my record will be changed
Keep in mind that databases might not update their records instantly. The timeframe varies from database to database. Here are a few examples:
- MaxMind: Updates occur twice a week
- IP2Location: Geolocation data is updated on the 1st of the month
- DB-IP: Geolocation data is updated, on average, twice a day
- IPinfo: Geolocation data is updated every day
IPXO has recently expanded its collaboration with additional geolocation providers and is working with a few more to ensure the most accurate and up-to-date data possible for our clients’ IP addresses. While the full ecosystem data is not yet visible on the IPXO portal, accepted geolocation update requests submitted via the IPXO website are reflected in the IPXO Geolocation feed. Below is a list of new providers that consume the IPXO Geolocation feed and their update schedules:
- ipregistry.co: Geolocation data is updated every day
- ipgeolocation.io: Geolocation data is updated weekly
- Digital Element: Geolocation data is updated weekly
- Ipdata.co: Geolocation data is updated at the beginning of every week
- BigDataCloud: Geolocation data is updated every 2 hours
- Neustar: Geolocation data is updated weekly
- Iphub.info: Geolocation data is updated every day
And what if databases have updated your record, but a third-party website still has the wrong information? If that is the case, this website is likely to use a database with the wrong record. The only thing you can do is try to figure out which database it is so that you can request a record change.